Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Stickin' it to the Man.

One of my Charlotte friends/fellow blogger, Rachael, posted a comment on the last breastfeeding post :

After the opening picture, I had said something like, "Aren't you glad I didn't post a gratuitous breastfeeding photo of myself?" This was Rachael's answer:

rachael said...

I agree with Jess!
Your writing is on a whole new level!

P.S. The answer to your first question is NO. In order for us to normalize nursing it in public, shouldn't it be so online? No apologies needed, no demure "not posting a gratuitous photo" comments - bring it! :)



And you know what? I thought about it and she was right. I think it's beautiful when I see photos of other women breastfeeding. Why am I so weirded out by one of myself? My answer would be something like, "Well...it's a private thing." Except that would be a lie, because if you read the breastfeeding post I have nursed in public, EVERYWHERE. So while it is a sacred thing between me and my child it hasn't been so much "private."

So I'm getting over myself and posting a picture. My first ever breastfeeding photo open to public viewing. This picture is my proverbial sticking it to the "Man." If the "Man" happens to be a breastfeeding wary culture, in which this case, it is.

I'm sorry I couldn't give you something nearly as epic as this picture was, but I decided to go the more tasteful route:



Take that "Man!!"

6 comments:

  1. Good point! Good job "sticking it"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was so worried you'd be offended by my comment. I am so stinking proud of you. Thank you for this! Encouragement to women everywhere.

    P.S. Sorry about my typo, the random "it." 2am phone typing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful Picture! I wish I had taken more when mine were breastfeeding. I do however have pictures of my little ones breastfeeding their toys ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. love it! Being one that nurses in public and smiles at the people who give me grossed out looks, I get super excited when I see someone else nurses in public. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous! Really, just so beautiful.

    check out mine: http://wonderbrenna.blogspot.com/2011/08/world-breastfeeding-week-2011.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay! To breastfeeding in public! I am still nursing my 3 year old, sometimes she asks to breastfeed while out...it's so hard because just when I had gotten used to breastfeeding in public she becomes a big toddler and I get all those unconfortable and in disbelief stares.

    Good for you!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...