Sunday, March 18, 2012

All Things Beautiful: Surfing


I've decided to re-install my "All Things Beautiful" inspiration series. Cause we all need a little inspiration right?

These days, I'm inspired by surfing. 

I've always wanted to learn how to surf. Growing up, I was a competitive swimmer, and had no fear of the ocean. I loved to body surf and board and would spend every day of our beach trips catching waves. I loved it and wanted to learn how to surf. I never really had the opportunity so I never learned.

Fast forward to my 28 year old self with a daughter. I still want to learn how to surf. Bad. I've always been fascinated by surfing...and the culture. It just looks like the essence of summer and freedom.  Every time we go to the beach and the surfers are out I find myself staring wistfully at them, running out into the deep blue. They all look so happy when they are surfing. I'm convinced I would be pretty happy surfing too.

We live near a beach now that gets pretty good swells. When we moved here that was the first goal I had. Well..then I hurt my leg pretty bad, pulling my IT band something fierce and developing a painful cyst behind my knee from the injury. I could barely walk during all of peek surfing season. Now the waves are calming down so there isn't as much opportunity. But I am determined. I'm convinced all I need is a day to myself (which is hard to come by) where I have a board, on a day with some beginner waves that won't bang me around too much. I may not be as strong of a swimmer as I once was, or as fearless, but I can still catch a wave. Give me a board, darn it, and I will stand up on it.

A little surf inspiration:

source




source
source

source
source
source
source
source

1 comment:

  1. you didn't really say if you have one or not...we have a great fun shape you can borrow anytime! a bit heavy, but it's a boat out there...very easy to learn on.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...