Tuesday, July 3, 2012

What's In a Name?

ad·o·ra·tion

  [ad-uh-rey-shuhn]  Show IPA
noun
1.
the act of paying honor, as to a divine being; worship.
2.
reverent homage.
3.
fervent and devoted love.
Origin: 
1535–45;  < Latin adōrātiōn-  (stem of adōrātiō worship. See adore,-ation


Faced with the task of naming another baby, it occurred to me that I have never explained on the blog how we came up with our first born's name. The explanation is a little long, so bare with me. ;) 

My daughter's name is Adoration. Her middle name is Joy.  

I realize that to some (or many) may find her name unusual. And yes, it is a bit of a mouthful to say. I had a bit of trepidation in giving her that name at first, but now I can't imagine her having any other.  

She is probably the first person that most people have heard with this name. But it is not a new name for me. Adoration is my mother's name. More specifically, my mother's name is the the Spanish word, "Adoracion." So the name was never strange to me. My Mom went by a nickname because Americans had trouble pronouncing her given name correctly, but I always thought it sounded beautiful. So to me, the name is not "out there." It's a name I've become familiar with, and it's a real word, with a beautiful meaning. 

Both me and my husband believe that there is power in naming. Naming was the first task God gave to man. Names are such a huge part of our identity. Biblically, God would often give the name straight to the parent as a command, or parents would name their children out of things the Lord was doing in that season of their lives as a testament. God would even change the names of His people when they entered into a new aspect of their calling or when they have had a transforming experience with Him, ie (Abram-Abraham, Saul-Paul.) This is the way James and I choose to name our children. We pray. We wait. We ask God about who He is making these children to be, and we try to name accordingly. 

Also, during college my husband spend about 7 months in Malawi, Africa. There, it is common for people to have meaningful words as names. Names like, "Promise," "Blessing," "Surprise." And the people he encountered often embodied their names. And also unfortunately, parents would sometimes name their children out of unsavory circumstances; names like "Lust." And sadly, the person also embodied the name in these instances as well.  There is even a story of a little boy who was only called "Dog." Consequently, until he received intervention, the boy manifested traits of a dog in his physical being....he foamed at the mouth and barked uncontrollably. Experiencing life in a place where the spiritual is much more obvious and seeing the positive and negative effects of words and names being spoken over people had a profound effect on my husband. We knew as part of our children's names, whether the first name or middle name that we wanted to give them a meaningful word or character attribute as part of their name....as part of their identity.  

So when I was pregnant with Adoration, we prayed and listened. We felt like that God was creating her to be a worshiper. That she would love to dance. That she would bring smiles, joy, and healing to hurting hearts and to dark places. Being familiar with my mother's name and as the word used in many beloved hymns, we fell in love with the name "Adoration." This happened more slowly for me, because I wanted people to not have too much trouble saying her name. But it became more and more clear that this was to be her name.  We chose her middle name "Joy," because that was what God was teaching us at the time as a family. In a dry season of my soul, where joy did not come easily, God brought joy into my heart and taught me a bit about what true joy looked like. The middle name of the baby in my belly will also be chosen by what God is currently teaching us in this season. 

So that's the story. We choose to call our daughter Adoration, but have picked out the nickname "Addie," for her if she chooses to use it in school, or for telling smaller children who may have trouble saying her whole name. So by some, at different seasons of her life, she may go by "Addie," but to us, she will always be our "Adoration."  

6 comments:

  1. Love the story of her name... can't wait to hear who is next. :) (And I'm eagerly waiting to hear the gender announcement too!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally love this and couldn't agree more! Names are SO important! We also named Anna by what we felt God was doing/going to do in our lives during this season, and can't wait to name the next one! First have to figure out what the gender is though. Speaking of which, you should know by know, hmmm? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll post the gender reveal tomorrow. ;)

      Delete
  3. i just stumbled across your blog searching for mama bloggers and two children. we are praying about our second... and this was the post that came up. there is no doubt in my mind i was suppost to read this post. we named our daughter Eden-- meaning delight. i firmly believe in the power of our name and the impact it makes on the child and then the adult. i am now a fan of your blog mama! excited to see what tomorrows post brings!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Kate! I loovve the name Eden! Before we knew we were having a boy, that name was on the list for us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on the little man!!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...