Thursday, October 25, 2012

A Son.

     Our Asa is almost a month old. I can scarcely believe it. This second time around I am even more aware of the brevity of this sweet, newborn stage. I'm trying to soak it in with every fiber of my being. Having a son has opened up a new part of my heart. It is not more or less than how I love my daughter, but it is different in a way I can't quite describe. We are blessed.

Asa entered the world in one of the busiest seasons of our lives. In the midst of our fatigue and all the parts that must be kept moving, I find myself breathing in so many moments, forcing my heart to remember them forever. My husband napping with his son. My daughter spontaneously wrapping her arms around my neck and saying, "I love you Mama. I prowd of you." Asa, his bundled warmth, sleeping on my chest. His baby sounds and sighs. That glorious newborn smell. The way he instantly calms down when he hears my voice. That look in my husband's eyes that lets me know he is head-over-heels in love with me. My daughter giving her baby brother hugs and kisses. So many more. They are happening every day, between and throughout the bustle, the potty training, the errands, the work, the meals, the tired eyes. And they are pure gold. We are rich, indeed.  

Asa, our son, is growing like a weed. Two weeks early, he was on the smaller side at birth, weighing in under 6lbs.  But in three weeks he gained three pounds, his little limbs and cheeks filling out in that delicious baby way. These photos were taken when was 2 weeks old. He looks fatter now. ;) 

I'm planning on writing his birth story at some point (I need to do it soon while it is still fresh.) But for now, here is a letter to my son. (after the photos.)

IMG_1237

IMG_1260

IMG_1261

IMG_1276

IMG_1273

IMG_1259

IMG_1220

IMG_1111


IMG_1217

IMG_1266

Dear Asa,

My sweet son. You are everything and more than I thought. You are going to grow to be a great man. I already know it. A "Great" that is measured in integrity, kindness, and justice. God told me and your daddy that you would be a peacemaker: strong and steady and calm. We already see it in you, from the way you came into this world, to your peaceful temperament, to the way you bring peace to our hearts when we look at your little face. You are a blessing to this family and all of our hearts our bigger because of you. 

"Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows." James 1:17

I love your forever,

Your Mama



3 comments:

  1. My heart is melting! How absolutely sweet is this post and both of your little ones. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Asa is one of my favorite boy names!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a BEAUTIFUL post! So perfectly written. Your babies are beyond gorgeous, but then again, look at their mama.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...