Thursday, January 17, 2013

A New Year, A New Focus

022

Happy 2013 ya'll! 

This year we started a New Year's Eve tradition of a family dance party. Cause let's face it, there is little chance that we would get to go out and party up the town with small children. No one wants to babysit on New Year's Eve! So we decided, just cause we are stuck at home, doesn't mean we have to miss out on any fun.  We had take-out Chinese food for dinner, and read our fortunes for the year. I hung up a sparkly garland blew up balloons to cover the floor. We dressed up pseudo-fancy and had a dance party right there in the living room. Adoration was thought it was the best thing eve. We had a mock count-down and Adoration was in bed by 8:00 (I'm not keeping my two year old up till midnight. That's crazy talk!) James and I spent the remainder of the evening cuddling on the couch in our pj's. Perfect. 

026

With the new year, and a proverbial fresh start, I sat down and thought about this little ol' blog of mine. As you have probably noticed, my blogging has been very sporadic. It's because sitting down to blog felt draining.This blog is very much a family album, but I don't want it to be just that. I don't want to use my children as a blogging platform. I don't want to overexpose them, if that makes any sense at all. But other things I tried to do felt like half hearted attempts, draining my time and energy. For example, trying to do blog posts of lessons plans. Planning a lesson plan and executing it with my daughter is one thing. Blogging it is a whole other ball game. It takes FOREVER and I don't have forever, I have maybe 10 minutes. I'll probably still contribute some Learning at Home activities every now and then, but no more lesson plans. There are other (and much better) blogs that are more focused for that. 

So I thought about who I am, what I love, and what I DO want my blog to be.
I want my time spent blogging to feed in to all other areas of my life, not drain it. 
So here is what you can expect :

* Probably still on the sporadic side of posting. (Hopefully, not quite as sporadic as it has been.) This 
is just my life right now. 

* Family album and letters. I will continue to post letters to my children and document our days. Being able to look back at our family life is invaluable to me. But don't expect all my posts to be about my kids.

* Thoughts on faith and life. I've never intended this to be a "preachy" blog, but my faith is a big part of who I am and affects all avenues of my life. I haven't done too much of that on this blog but I want to do more. Writing about faith and life helps me process what I'm learning or experiencing.

*More photography. I love it. I want to grow in this area. And at some point, would love to do family photography as a business. Ideas and dreams have been brewing in my head of what that would look like. Basically, I want to do a more unconventional, documentary style of family photography. I want to get in family's lives and really capture those special moments you want to remember forever. The kind of photographs I would want of my own family. It's very much in the baby stages in my mind, and I would just like to get better at the craft at this point before I start any kind of business venture. 
That being said, if you are in the Jacksonville area, I'm looking for family's to practice on and experiment this style!

As this pertains to my blog, I will try to capture some of my own family's sweet moments. I will start carrying my camera (not just my phone) on outings of our everyday life. 

I've seen this on some other blogs and it was such a good and simple idea, I've decided to incorporate it into my blog as well. A portrait a week of both my children. small. attainable. And I'm inspired by the possibilities of such a simple project. 


And to my faithful readers, thanks for sticking with me this long! Happy New Year!

2 comments:

  1. That top picture of Adoration is ridiculously cute. Ridiculously. And I will be happy to see you post about anything!! And soon Spearsly and I will come to Jax and you can photograph us to your heart's content! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Come to Augusta and take our pictures! ha, ok I will stop I promise...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...