Sunday, April 7, 2013

Portrait a Week: 7 (and some personal rambling.)

IMG_1688

IMG_1717
Asa: prince
Adoration: princess


I have no idea what week I'm supposed to be on but I'm taking more photos than I would've without this project, which is good enough for me! Later this week I'll be announcing a collaboration that I am very excited about and very honored to be a part of. Especially since I'm only a pseudo-blogger and usually only view myself as a pseudo-artist. I'm working on that though. These things are hard for me to say: I am a creative...I am an artist. But I'm slowly starting to believe they may be true. Perhaps enough to buy some new paints. ;) 

In other news, we have been house hunting. It's exhausting. There aren't many houses on the market now in Jacksonville and the good ones get snapped up within two days of being listed. It's ridiculous. We already put an offer in on a house. It was amazing. It was drenched in light. The only house we've seen with so much light. (Most houses here are a little scanty in the window department.) There were eleven other offers (eleven!!) The seller lowballed the price to get a bunch of bids. Needless to say, we were out bid. The house sold for at least $15,000 over asking price. We were a little heartbroken.

Also the style of Jax houses? Not exactly my fave. The houses I think are beautiful are in the wrong part of town...and zoned for like D rated schools.  Bummer. But we just put in an offer in on another house in a part of town we love. It feels like you are in the country...but you aren't. The back yard backs up to the woods and a creek. It's near a nature preserve. There are oak trees and Spanish moss.  The house isn't perfect and could use a few updates here and there but I can just picture my kids tromping through the woods and getting dirty which makes it worth it. There are also two other offers on this particular house. Sigh. So maybe we will be on our way to home ownership in a couple of days or the relentless search will march on. 

We are enjoying our Jax life. It's been a good fit for us. There are things I miss about South Florida (I mean...parts of it are pretty gorgeous. And there a like a billion things to do with kids. sea turtles! amazing parks! museums! zoos! clear, blue ocean water!) But something about that region just made my soul feel heavy. I don't even know how to explain it, but it lifted the moment we drove away and I felt like a different person. We've found an amazing church here that just feels like home and that also has lots of people in our stage of life. I'm already starting to make friends and connections. These past (almost) two years have been a little crazy. But I'm really thankful for the process. Through it God has blessed us with a son, led us to the place we will plant our family, and gave us lots of sunshine and bare feet in the midst. He's also stirred up our hearts in the area of foster care and adoption.  Which as soon as we are settled and have a bit of a support system is a path we want to start walking down. I'm a little terrified of it (or a lot.) I've thought about adoption for a long time but foster care is a completely new concept to my heart. I have lots of questions and fears. Plus I feel totally inadequate. But why else would we have such a desire unless God put it there? 

2 comments:

  1. Ohhh house hunting. I don't envy you that at all, but I hope you find something soon with a minimum of drama!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exciting! I do foster care and adoptions, so if you ever need to pick my brain, I'd love to answer any questions!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...