Tuesday, May 28, 2013

A House, A Home


  
We are currently in the process of closing on a house. It's taking a bit longer than expected because the septic tank has to be replaced before we can move in. I am over the moon about this house. After multiple moves and temporary residences, and an exhausting house search, we found the house that will be our home and not just a layover. At some point, I plan on telling the story of this house on the blog. It's a really great story and one of those times where I just felt utterly spoiled by God. 

Currently, our rental house's garage is filled with stuff we plan on getting rid of.  We will be selling some large pieces on Craigslist and then will have a big, blow out garage sale. In my mind I have titled it "The Great Purge of 2013," because it feels that epic. There isn't much furniture of ours that we actually purchased. We have picked up pieces here and there, mostly for free, or very cheap to fit our temporary rental situations. I'm pretty excited about getting rid of stuff. It's so freeing. We will be keeping items that we have purchased with longevity in mind and pieces that work. 

I'm pretty excited about making this house a home and have pinning images for inspiration. The house is a mid century ranch style home. I want to honor it's origins by having lots of mid century inspired clean lines but also want to mix it up with a bit of a rustic/natural feel.  Aside from that the main things I want design-wise are:

1) more of a minimalist feel. children come with their own kind of mess and chaos and my soul is just longing for less visually. I'm not wanting lots of decorations, for walls to be too cluttered, or for anything unnecessary. I want every item to be both practical and pretty. If it's only one of those, I don't want it in there.
2) The "decorations" I do want are plants and family photos. I want lots of green to add life, freshness, and to improve air quality. I've never really put family photos up with all our moving, but I'm planning on doing a gallery wall behind our dining table, perhaps mixing in some art and prints as well. 

We should be in the house by Adoration's birthday (fingers crossed!) I know that her 3rd birthday might possible be the first birthday she really remembers and it makes me so happy to think we may have it at a house where many more birthdays will follow! My heart's desire for this house is to be a place of family and gathering. I want people to feel welcome always. I want to open up the doors for gatherings of all kinds, a place for community and relationship. It's a blessing that we want to share. 

Some photo inspiration: 


designsponge.com

home-designing.com


thedesignfiles.net

designsponge.com


4 comments:

  1. I can't wait to come spend time in your new house (and help landscape it, let's be honest)!! Also I would probably buy all of your stuff at the yardsale, so maybe you should let me know when that's going to happen. Ha. And I love your inspiration photos!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know you must be as excited to be finally settled as we are! So happy for you guys! And I love ranches. That's what we have- a brick ranch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How exciting! I'm so loving the blessing of a house that is ours and pray that you and James feel the same way when you move in.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...